History

The THE Conference was started in 1914 as a training school for County Superintendents of Highways. Over the years the conference changed as the country went through World War II and the peace period afterwards. In 1972, the present format was adopted to broaden the Department of Transportation philosophy. In 1974, Marshall Thompson had his first year as the director of the THE Conference, a position he held for 22 years until William Buttlar became the director in 2002. Today, just as it was stated in 1935:

"Our greatest desire is that it (THE Conference) shall continue to be of ever increasing service to the people of the State."

For a more detailed history up until 1974, view the 75th Anniversary Bulletin.

Historical Photos

View more historical photos on Flickr.com.


Past Conferences